Skip to main content

Sewn Masks - Comfort Masks you can make at home

When I first heard about sewing masks I was hesitant due to the fact that I know they do not offer the same protection as masks that can be purchased. Without going into details about all the different levels of masks, I am now offering my process for sewing comfort masks. And yes, I changed my mind when a friend asked me to sew her some masks. I was not immediately convinced but she got me going when she basically said, Erica, something is better than nothing and we need help.

I was also torn as my email inbox has been bombarded with buy this emails and I feel in these times trying to get anyone to buy anything is wrong. I want to help you so I am putting together how I am making masks.

I reviewed many patterns and pretty much chose one that I could do with the materials I had at home and as much as I love the masks with pockets to add additional filtration, such as vacuum bags, I don't own stuff like that so I am going for basic comfort masks.

If you have a sewing machine and a beginner knowledge, you can do this too and help out your community. By golly, if you don't have a sewing machine and have tons of fabric on hand you could sew by hand.

For my pattern you will just need cotton fabric and thread. Lots and lots of cotton fabric and the tighter the weave the better. Americans can be kinda extravagent so if you have extra sheets for your bed, that can become great fabric...just saying.

Here are some easy to follow steps with lots of pics to help you out if you are a visual learner.

1. Cut two 8" x 8" squares of your fabric.


 2. Sew the top and bottom edges together with a standard straight stitch. Trim the edges to remove any excess fabric.


3. Turn the fabric right side out.


4. Using your iron, press the edges down trying to keep the seam clean.



5. Add three pleats (facing down so germs do not collect in the pleat pockets) with the goal with the final height being about 4". Iron the pleats. I keep a ruler near by to measure the height when I do the final pleat.




5. Stay stitch the pleats with a standard straight stitch. When you stitch make sure to move from the top of the pleat to the bottom to ensure it stays nicely in place. Trim the edges after your stay stitching. This will help keep things clean when you add on the ties.



6. Time for the ties! You can use binding if you have but you can also make your own. For this part, softer fabric is better. Cut two strips of 35" long fabric at least 1.5" thick to make it easier to work with. Iron the two edges into the midline.




7. Fold in half and iron again. Be careful. This is the hot to the touch process but will help you out.


8. Find the halfway point of your ties and pin to the mask's halfway point. Estimating is okay. Have the pins pointing up for easy removal when you sew. 


9. Sew the straps together and onto the mask. I like a zig-zag stitch but darling daughter uses a straight stitch as her machine is "broken" and can't change stiches. Use a back stitch on the edge of the ties to reinfornce them. Move down the pleats and ensure you get the mask into your binding. Remember to remove your pins. Sewing over pins is not the best idea for your machine.



10. Tie knots at the ends of your ties and trim to make the edges tidy if desired.


11. Wear your mask. Share your masks!

These are for my younger sis and her daughers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Customized Treat Bags

A plus of being crafty and creative is that I can make special treats for darling daughter to hand out at her upcoming TURNING 12 birthday party! This kiddo is absolutely amazing and over the years parties have been few and far between due to the job I had at the time. Thanks to unexpected events and a new career path, I am able to be more of the mom I would love to be and am able to spend more time crafting with darling daughter....and creating fantastic, memorable moments in her life. She is also a great test client who allows me to try to create new and hopefully wonderful things. This year she picked out little treat bags that can be used to hold party favors or given out as is. Each bag was made completely in house - and that makes me happy. Darling picked what was to be embroidered on each, the fabric color, the accent borders on those with them, and the color of Kam Snap closures she wants on each. We debated different sizes as we wanted the bag to be functional in one way o

The Story Behind Baby Pads for Horses

Everything we create at Eclectic Vibrant Gifts has a story. Today I want to talk about baby pads for horses. Why on Earth do I embellish these? What was I thinking?! My daughter is 11 years old and has been riding horses since she was 6. We spend many hours at the stables and she has grown a nice little collection of horse supplies....including baby pads. I have always been someone who has liked to add a personal touch to everything. Make it just a wee bit more special, more unique, more me. Fortunately my daughter delights in this too so when I said, " Hey! Can I add a little splash to your baby pads? " she replied, " SURE! " I dream of hand making baby pads from start to finish but right now, I am embellishing them and it started with a seasonal touch last fall. Who wouldn't want a baby pad with a wheelbarrow full of pumpkins on it? Or a snowman? Or Santa? That has grown into flowers, butterflies, planets, and more. It delights me to see how al